Pages

June 27, 2007

Life in Wanaka

I've been based in Wanaka (Albertown) now for the past 10 days and life is good.




We're patiently sitting waiting for the big promised dump of snow. Hmmm. Luckily last thursday, our dreams came true and it started snowing - although it stopped again on Friday afternoon - its a start however.



Deciding not to get too depressed by the lack of skiing and the fact that Cardrona (the ski resort) is not open and no one really knows when its going to open I've been keeping myself occupied. I've taken to a spot of baking - well ok not really but I baked a cake, a carrot cake, no less. If I do say so myself - it was quite yummy. Other evening activities include, catching up on all my evening soaps and crochets (I have no idea how to spell that), but I knitted two beanie hats, he he.. its kinda sad and cool at the same time - but so addictive... now I am crocheting a hat :)



Decided to head to Queenstown last Saturday, just because. The roads had been cleared (mostly) of snow and well we had nothing better to do. Queenstown is like Wanaka rich cousin. Many more people, lots more shops - we were happy to see the place but glad to go home. The funny thing about the trip - was the number of abandoned cars we came across on the way. We count upto 80 cars, just left in the most conspicuous of places: on a hill, in the middle of the road, on a corner. Basically, when the snows came on thursday, people weren't prepared, didn't have their chains, got stranded and had to leave their cars.... madness I tell you madness. Glad I wasn't driving on Thursday eve... Driving with chains - wohoo - so loud and clunky - but the traction is great.

Over the past few days, myself Orla and Mel decided to hit the hills and go tramping (hiking kiwi style). The first escapade was a supposed to be a nice 3 hour hike to a glacier (Rob Roy) from the carpark. Unfortunately, about 5 km from the carpark, the road became a wee bit treacherous. Completely iced over with a drop on one side, we parked the car and decided a roadside stroll would be better. We wandered around the Matukituki (I am sure I've spelled that wrong) for a few hours and came across this wee fella, wandering the fields,



I'm pretty sure he's missing his left eye. But he's so cute, I know I know he's a cow, but a fluffy one... go on - cows are cute, kinda ;)

Yesterday, we went on a proper hike. Myself, Mel, Orla and an Aussie called Dave set off in two cars. We parked one on the Cardrona side of the valley and the other on the Mt. Roy side and tramped from one to the other. The Mt. Roy, Mt. Alpha traverse. We estimated the walk to be about 8 hours with only a little snow at the top. Boy were we wrong, from the moment we got out of the car, we were in ankle deep snow, and it was that way right until the very end. With parts of the walk knee deep. Never the less we had a great day and the views were fantastic.


Funny experience the last fews days. The guys in the house warned us not to put the handbrake on, because they can freeze. We took them up on their advice, but didn't really think that it would happen, until we got into the car yesterday, to find the handbrake had indeed frozen. Luckily for us - it froze down and not up - so we could still drive away :)

No comments: