Pages

April 12, 2007

Back in Action


DSC_5682
Originally uploaded by Carole McGloughlin.
Finally, after 5 out of 6 days rest, I decided to get back on the rock, and to my joy I survived the day. Starting nice and easily, I onsighted a 15, then 2 17's and ended the day on a beautiful 10. Sensibly at that point, I thought I should quit while I was ahead and so headed back to camp. A thoroughly enjoyable day and very little shoulder twing. Happy Carole.

The following day was just as good and feeling confident I hoped on a route called Tanin. A 19 that I had my eye on for some time. I absolutely stitched it with gear and it by the time I reached the top, it really felt like I was hauling up a dead cow. But I flashed it, so was an extremely happy camper. I then top roped the 21/22 to the right of it (The Raft) - a great route, hanging on by fingernails.
For the last few days, I've been climbing with a couple living in Perth, Gill and Matt and an american guy, Mark. This was really Gill introduction to trad climbing, so with Matt soloing up beside her and me belaying we saw her lead her first trad climb, conifure crack. Nice Job :). That afternoon, myself and Gill went off to conquer her 2nd trad lead and then I finished the day on a route called Kestrel. A sweet grad 13, but boy was it long. 55m in one pitch. And a nightime abseil. Following a great day - we decided dinner in the pub was in order - out of dust ville for a few hours.

The masses started to arrive on Thursday for Easter and gradually the campsite filled up. The Pines went from just a handful of tents to tents every couple of feet. Scary place. We bailed on Sunday and fled to the Grampians for the day. We went to a place called summer day valley, a beautiful spot, sandstone again, like the Arapiles, but softer, I believe. Basically, same same but different :). Unfortunately as the day progressed my shoulder started giving me trouble again, but I begrudingly stopped climbing at lunch time, and resorted to being snap happy with my camera.

No comments: