Pages

September 6, 2010

first few days in rodellar

Yesterday i was too tired to write, today after a rest I am still too tired, but I'll endeavour to put something down, least in my tiredness I forgot :)
Lunch on the Road
The long drive cross country from El Masnou to Rodellar

We drove to Rodellar last Wednesday and watched the clouds thicken over the mountains the closer we got.   It was a fantastic thunder storm that night but unfortunately that meant no climbing for us on Thursday as we'd planned.  After a few hours of musing in the tent drinking coffee we jumped in the car and headed for Heusca.  Really there is not much to see or do there, a short walk around the old quarter and lunch in a cute little restaurante and we'd pretty much seen it all.  Late afternoon it started to brighten so we headed back up the valley to see the clouds slowly lifting off the gorge.  Hurray, we'd be climbing tomorrow.
Funky ceramic wall in Heusca
One of the crags in Rodellar
The next two days we our first experience with Rodellar, another different crag, another style of climbing to get used to.  I found it hard these two days.  I think after the 6 days rest, it will take a day or so get the head back into it.  I certainly was having a bad head day.  With Dawid here, I found the opportunity to get a couple of shots of us climbing (and Dawid kindly took my camera while I was climbing, so now I've proof I was actually on the rock). 

Andrew climbing a 6b

Dawid on same route
 Me climbing the same 6b (photo credit to Dawid)

Today was a rest day, and as all good rest days go, we went walking / hiking, down into the valley to the river, a swim before lunch, then wander aimlessly through the gorge for the next few hours and a little expedition to get home.  Andrew suggests that its as quick to follow the river bed back to the campsite than go back to the village and by road, so off we trot... let's just say we had an introduction to canyon'ing, boulder hopping, tree hugging and water wading.... except from the fact that we'd run out of water a couple of hours earlier, we had a great time.

Roll on crag and climbing tomorrow.  This is yet another beautiful climbing destination, in fact beautiful doesn't do it justice.

No comments: