Pages

August 27, 2010

Sports Climbing Harness??

So I've got a question for anyone out there reading this with an opinion on it.  I want to buy a light weight sports climbing harness and trying to figure out which one to get. 

The choices are
  • Black Diamond Aura

  • Petzl Hirundos

  • Arc'teryx S240a

 There are pros and cons of each. 
  1. The current Petzl harness (Andrew's old one) that I'm using is terribly uncomfortable - the hirundos is similar shape / style so I wonder would it have the same discomfort.  Pros however, it is priced very reasonably and two friend are currently using them are very happy with it (I think). 
  2. I've yet to see the Black Diamond one in a shop to try on but I love my old trad climbing one.  The aura is a similar shape to my old one, but in a lighter weight material.  I didn't know one existed until it was mentioned to me a week or so ago.  Price wise more expensive than the Petzl. 
  3. I've only come across the mens version this in shops so far (a320) of the Arc'teryx so far and it doesn't fit quite right, legs loops are not adjustable to save weight are slightly too small for me, it fits, but for comfort I'd rather it to be a little more roomy.  The waist fits fine, a bigger size and the then the waist is swimming on me.  So the mens one isn't a runner.  Price wise about the same as Black Diamond.  Recommendations, so far 3 of my friends have them and are happy with it.   
So my questions are:  are they any other lightweight harness people think I should consider and has anyone experience with the black diamond aura (or men's equivalent)??

(image credits:  taken from the black diamond, petzl and arc'teryx websites)

2 comments:

Neal said...

The Black Diamond is the exact same material as the Arcteryx (I'd guess there will be a Petzl version next year also - I believe the cost of the manufacturing process has come down) ) so it depends then on your opinion of the thin material!
I've the Hirundos and it's been great (although none of these are particularly fab for hanging at chains for photos...). Believe there's a female addition of it also?

Big plus for the Petzl is the price!

Carole McGloughlin said...

Yeah, I figured from a photo point of view none will be ideal, but I still have my very comfortable Black Diamond harness, which is fairly comfortable for long periods its just heavy for long traveling. The petzl one I'm using at the one is uncomfortable to even belay someone in, if they are hanging around or even just lowering them off.... But its a man's harness, so that maybe part of problem.

The key is finding one to try on.