Pages

January 31, 2007

John has arrived - and the week that followed

Finally, the second of team ireland has arrived in tonsai.. John has arrived cruising into Tonsai on the all to familar long tails on Monday, quite tired but all smiles. After a good fed of Thai food and a night's sleep, i managed to convince him to get up and go climbing. That took about 10 seconds. So the first couple of days were spent at Thaiwand Wall and Wee's Present Wall.. two beautiful locations, with a good variety of routes. Some, however are a little polished. Got my first redpoint in wee's present wall, a 6b+, with a hard bouldery start. Good route. Really pleased.

Thursday was unnanously designated a rest day. My arms were crying out. A trip to the beach, the lagoon, lots of chilled out coffee and breakfast - a flashy restaurant. Wow really living it up.

Went to The Keep on Friday. I had only heard good things about it and was dying to get there. The walk in part was worth the journey. It is a well hidden crag with a precarious looking (but not to bad) scramble down some fixed ropes to get to it. It was worth it, and everyone is right. There are only about 10 routes. I onsighted one the longest 6b's i have ever done. A 60m rope barely reached the ground.

On Saturday we went Eagle wall. Nice hidden bay and crag on the right side of Tonsai beach. Was a happy camper that day as I got another 6b+, onsight this time. I think perhaps things are coming together. YAY :) Unforunately we didn't judge the tides quite right.. and ended up almost swimming back. I was wading through water up to my armpits attempting to keep the gear dry. Obviously, as you can imagine, panicking about my camera. All was good - and it stayed dry.... funny experience.

No comments: