Pages

February 6, 2007

Multipitch Madness and Alpine Starts

The last week was spent racking up as many classics as we could before John left to go back to the sunny isles of home. The first two on our hit list were the Big Wave and Beauty and the Beast. Two 6b multi-pitches which we managed somehow to do in one afternoon, although regrettably I had to second the last pitch in the dark. Hmmm, not the most memorable experience.

... clips from my mind on the route ....looking up thinking there's a shadow, maybe that is a hold, jump, aghhhh its a slopper, oh there's another, try that... arghhh another slopper... where are the jugs, john??? ouch, what was that? arghh tufa, where'd that come from... hmmm, I am not liking this, grrrr...

Obviously, with finishing in the dark, we had to abseil off in the dark. While although the anchors are fairly inline, I still managed to rap into a tree... it was at about this moment, my mood changed from jolly, to, get me outta here, NOW :( Twas a great day though.

The other multipitch classic that we had on our ticklist was Humanality on Tonsai Wall. But to make the most of the route, its an early rise, alpine style. Poor Carole was grumpy and well John went into alpine mode. It was amusing as I cried my way up the route as route, shouted, ahem, encouragement up to me. The route was, lets say, interesting and definitely worth doing, ONCE. I don't think I will be doing it again, soon.

Last weekend, there was a fire show on, where all the local and not so local, poy fire dancers strutted there stuff. It was a spectacular event.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Yeah Carole! Sounds like a pretty great time! Even if you had to get up too early..