Pages

February 28, 2007

Going Solo

I left Tonsai yesterday, a bit nervous and apprenhensive of what the next couple of months would hold. But it was time to leave and I always like a good challenge.

Ko Lanta was the first stop. I got the ferry from Tonsai, via Railay. Would you believe they made us get off the boat for 30 minutes in Railay. I could have walked in ten minutes from Tonsai. Anyway finally I made it to Ko Lanta, a dusty beachside village. I managed to get myself into a taxi and headed for long beach, carefully avoiding the touts who were offering a free taxi ride, but to a secluded beachside resort. Hmmm. On arrival I bumped in and started chatting to a lovely german lady, who promptly invited me to share her bungalow, since the place was full, which I decided to take her up on her offer. It turns out she has been to Ko Lanta quite a few times and had lots of stories to tell. I hung out with her and two of her friends for the evening.

This morning, after a wander around and a trip to the beach, I took a bus and ferry to Trang. A rather a large town south of Ko Lanta. It is hub for getting buses throughout southern Thailand. So, I easily arranged a bus to Kuala Lumpar - which apparently goes via Hat Yai, and stops there for a few hours. I guess I will have time to discover it. Trang, seems to be a normal town, so to speak. I have only seen one or two western people, in the few hours I have been here. It appears to be more industrial than touristy.

No comments: