Pages

March 2, 2007

Travelling South

I left the city of Trang yesterday morning and got on a bus to Kuala Lumpur. The journey supposedly to take the next 20 hours. Luckily (or unluckily), it first stopped in Hat Yai for about 4 hours. Giving me a break and a chance to wander around another southern Thai city. Hat Yai struck me as an industrial and comerical city, devoid of tourist attractions. The main and central streets were lined with electronic stores and motorbike dealer ships. However, strolling off one of these main streets, you began to see a more normal (??) asian city, the pavements lined with street stalls and vendors. Ah I feel at home again :)

The night bus to Kuala Lumpur. Unfortunately, so sleepy I didn't think to take a photograph, but what a bus. Only 3 seats wide, arm chairs no less, fully reclining, with foot stool included. It gets better, I had two of these lovely seats all to myself. When we arrived at the bus station in KL, I was dissappointed, we were 2 hours early - and I was in the middle of a great sleep. Funny :).

Kuala Lumpur. What a city? All, sleepy eyed, I dissembarked the bus, and realised that I had taken out the yellow bible (Lonely Planet) to find a place to stay. What to do? Ah, the touts. Hmmm, I hate it, but its four in the morning, he's offering a free night, and I only pay for tomorrow nights accomodation. Hmmm, so I'm thinking, take the easy option and get some sleep. So I make it as far as WHEELERS my guesthouse to find they only have a dorm room left. Grrr, I must be getting old. But I do prefer my own space. Anyway, they swear to me that they will have a single available tomorrow. Hmm. We'll see. At what I thought was a very reasonable time, I get up to find its midday - oops, I must have been tired. Low and below, the guy behind the desk wasn't lying and I have now my own room. Its small but that's fine. Its all mine. Safe again :).

The morning was ticking on, it was time to explore. First impressions: myraid of colours and ethnic communities combined. The place appears to be bubbling with enthausiam. I spent the afternoon walking around through Little India and China town. My only complaint was I couldn't find anywhere for breakfast (well lunch). All I wanted was a nice coffee house and a bakery. But nothing, not anything remotely malaysian either. I had a choice of McDonalds, Burger King and a few other fast food joints. Begrudingly, I had a cup of what I realised afterwards was instant coffee in McDonalds. I was none to impressed. As the afternoon rolled on, more street vendors became apparent and I managed some fruit and juices. But dinner proved also to be a problem. Everywhere was a fried chicken joint, very halal.. but that was about it. I eventually found a salad. The streets were alive with meat. Not so good for me. Oh and I found a Starbucks cafe. They really have infraltrated the world.

Photos to follow, when I find a trustworthy computer.

No comments: