Pages

March 19, 2007

Tasman Peninsula

How to find a Totem Pole? I decided that since it was close, I would go in search of the infamous totem pole (for all you non-climbers out there - it is the most famous climb in Tasmania - and possibly in Australia - unfortunately for me it is very very hard :).

So, Gill kindly lend me her car and off I set to the south west. It was only about one and a half hour drive, although I did stop regularly to admire the scenes.





Finally, I arrived at the Tasman National Park and parked the car. After a quick look at the guidebook, I popped the map into my bag and headed off on a trail name the Tasman Coastal Trail. After walking for an hour admiring the scenes, the strange burnt trees, the boardwalks, the wooden bridges, the mountains in the distance, I began to wonder, shouldn't there be a coast, some sea, perhaps a few cliffs.. I am meant to be on the COASTAL trail. Hmmm :( after a quick reccie of the map, I was not a happy camper, the trail I wanted was a loop, I wanted the other end of it. It would have been ok, if it was a small loop, but if I kept going in the direction I was headed it would take me 2 or 3 days to get to the Totem Pole.. Grrr.




So I turned around and jogged back.. (I am getting into this hill running :).
Finally I located the correct trail, and headed off, again !! Forest on my right and sea and cliffs on my left, much better. So the walk was another couple of hours, but boy was it worth it.



I started to scramble down to see if I could get a good look at the Totem pole. But at about half way when the path started to give beneath me, I decided to turn around. I did get a good look at the candlestick, and could see the top half of the totem pole. I found out afterwards that most people Abseil from where I was to get to the bottom, so I was happy I stopped.

Time to turn around and walk back to the car. Every two steps I took, I saw another lizards. Thinking to myself, if the lizards are out, then so are the snakes, definitely time to go home. Another walk/run back to the car.

No comments: