Pages

July 10, 2007

Albert town

I don't think I have mentioned my new home yet. Myself and Orla found a place to live in Albert town, through a friend of a friend of friend type thing. We are living with 2 kiwis, Devin and Cameron, and a dog, Butch. Melanie lives about 2 km away from us which is great. It is certainly a experience. My room is in the basement - basically a room off the garage, away from the rest of the house, but its a nice & spacious, with my own bathroom (also doubling as a utility room). The guys are great - although a little (a hem, a lot) different from my previous housemate. One of them is a fencer (no not the sport - he builds them) and the other likes to dabble, an ex-new zealand skier, he spent many back to back seasons between here and the states, at them moment is chilling, contemplating on more skiing, and hunting or back-country motor-biking every weekend. I came home today to find 2 wild pigs hanging from the ceiling of the garage, dead obviously, this weekend's trophies, I guess, and food for the next few weeks.

Oh my goodness, I got such a fright, the first day I moved in here, though. As you know I am a vegetarian and don't like meat - let alone killing animals. Yeah, well, can you imagine the scream from me when I went investigating the fridge downstairs. Oh, in my naivety, I say, look at all the fridges in the garages, I wonder what could be in them. Now, in hindsight, that was stupidity in my part. But yes, I do have to have a peak, and a peak was all I needed. I yelped, yes, loud and girly - I yelped. There, in the fridge, was half or more than half a deer, fur, legs, the lots (not sure about the head), I gave up looking at that point and ran outside to the others. Enough was enough.

Its funny though, hearing the boys talk about their day hunting off with the dogs and their guns, killing rabbits by the bucket load, 40 or 50 in one sitting - they are pests you know. I think they enjoy telling me - I must screw up my face as they they me. Apparently, the noise a wild pig makes is horrendous, it squeals loudly.

No comments: