Pages

May 25, 2007

Great Ocean Road

After a morning of installing car seats with Bronte for baby Tadhg, we left for the airport to pick up my hire car ( BIG RED :)





and I set off on my way along the Great Ocean Road. I took off on the A8 towards Melbourne via Tailem Bridge and then headed towards the coast and onto the Princes Hwy. I decided to get the bulk of the driving under way the first day, as the pretty stuff is closer to Melbourne. So I drove as far as Mt. Gambier, stopped for some food and the continued with the aim of finding one of the national parks near Nelson. Did I what? Oh my goodness, the best laid plans are meant to be broken and all that - well trying to navigate by yourself in the dark, whilst watching out for kangaroos, is not easy, believe you me and the next thing I knew I was in Portland. So now, we have a very tired Carole, with no where to stay, in the middle of nowhere, not so good. Out with the map - ok - next stop Narrowong, and it appears to have national parks close by. Right I will try that. So I drive to Narrowong, and keep my eyes peeled for street names - nothing, nada, yikes. I turned around and started driving in the other direction in the hope, still nothing and at this point I was very tired. Then I see a sign post for a caravan park. Hmm, I check it out. So I drive in and check out the prices on the notice board. Yikes, that was too expensive for my liking. But I did notice the picnic area, with the no camping sign, just out side the campground. PERFECT :) That will do, so I pulled the car up onto the grass, got my sleeping bag out, and curled up on the passenger seat. I awoke to sunrise and the sight of a puddle of water around the car. It really must have rained a lot during the night, and boy I must have been tired not to notice.



The day started off badly, I couldn't get my stove to work, so I couldn't have my morning coffee. What is a girl to do? Nevermind, my mind was soon occuppied by the magnificant full circle rainbow that was appearing before my eyes. Who needs coffee, eh?




I set off again to encounter wonders that be the Great Ocean Road. First stop Port Fairy, with its quaint little bakeries and cafes (ah ha - breakfast :), art galleries and gift shops, all of which appeared to named Dublin of Belfast.
The afternoon was spent driving along the coastline visiting the 12 Apostels, Bay of Islands, The Arch, London Bridge and many more of the wonderful and dramatic coastline architecture. Although the weather wasn't great, it gradually picked up as the day went on - making for an awesome sunset.




I decided to camp in the Ottway National Park in a little area called Port Franklin. According to the description it was just off lighthouse road. Sounds easy to find, but nothing ever is. Instead of finding my way to Port Franklin, I managed to find my way onto PRIVATE PROPERTY, yikes, which the lady of the house kindly informed me.... ahem.. although when she realised that I was just lost and
hadn't realised that I'd driven into her back garden she pointed me in the right direction. So off I trot again, eventually finding my way into a national park and up to a closed gate. Picture it though, its dark, I am in the middle of nowhere (again!), I've just opened a gate driven through and along a dirt track. I was begining to think I was crazy. Anyway finally I came up a grassy patch, where another 4x4 was parked... so sign of life but definitely other campers. This would do. So out with my sleeping bag and off to sleep I went. Again, I was awoken to an amzing sunrise.

Richie you would be so jealous, I just spent the last day driving along 100 KM of some of the best surf in Australia. Although, it was really a calm day, you could certainly see the potential. I did however get to see a number of dudes out in the water.

No comments: